1 litre chicken stock or bone broth
2 diced shallots
2 cups of brown rice
large knob of butter
1tsp of turmeric
1 tbsp olive oil
Heat your stock in a saucepan over a very low heat (just to keep warm)
2. Melt 50g of butter and one tbsp of oil in the Saute Pan over a low to medium heat.
3. Add the chopped shallots and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring until softened.
4. Add the brown rice and keep stirring for around a minute, then turn up the heat and add the stock (it will bubble up!). Keep stirring until it is absorbed.
5. Keep adding in your stock, allowing each ladleful to absorb as you stir before adding the next. Stir and ladle the stock into the rice until it is almost cooked through. This should take around 15-20 minutes, by which time you should have finished all your stock. However, if you find the rice is cooked to the texture you like before the stock has run out, don’t feel the need to use all the liquid.
6. Take the pan off the heat, and stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter, then season to taste.